[nflug] Getting DSL to work, etc.

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu May 4 16:47:55 EDT 2006

I tried the following:

root /etc/init.d: $/etc/init.d/network stop
Shutting down loopback interface:                               [  OK  ]
root /etc/init.d: $/etc/init.d/network start
Setting network parameters:                                     [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                                 [  OK  ]
root /etc/init.d: $ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
         inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:98813 (96.4 Kb)  TX bytes:98813 (96.4 Kb)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
         inet addr:208.28.189.13  P-t-P:208.28.189.3  Mask:255.255.255.255
         UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1524  Metric:1
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
         RX bytes:3598 (3.5 Kb)  TX bytes:7004 (6.8 Kb)

root /etc/init.d: $ifup eth0
/sbin/ifup: configuration for eth0 not found.
Usage: ifup <device name>
root /etc/init.d:

My DSL Modem/Router does PPPoE.

Well, I tried the Mandrake control center.  It offered to do lan or adsl
configuration.  It selected lan as most likely (in a wizard) and asked
me to insert my install cd.  I've had that cd in a disk wallet right
next to my PC for years, but right now I can't find it.  I have a
magazine disk of Mandrake 9.1, but the control center won't accept it.
Probably just seeing a different label on the disk.  The problem is that
it doesn't tell me what package it wants to install so I can't get it
from somewhere else and install it myself.  It did activate my ethernet
port and the E1 light is on on the modem now, but I'm not sure it will
be when I reboot.

Do I want lan or adsl?  I have no lan by itself here.

Anyone know what package(s) I need for lan or adsl  access?  I'm sure I
an easily get them once I know what I need.

I looked through the magazine disk and found the following things that
"might" be needed that I don't think are installed on my system (which
NAME didn't find them running as root):

iputils, netpbm, net-tools, bind, iproute, iptables.

When I tried to log on to send this, I got a new warning message about
resolv.conf being missing.  kppp got me online, but I couldn't do email
or Internet access.

I had to go back into the control center and configure dialup again to
get back online.  It still wanted to load something from the cd's, but I
skipped that and it worked anyway.

I found my /etc/resolv.conf once I spelled it right.  Right now, it's
setup for buffnet.  I took an example I found on the web and put it in.
I know it has to be put somewhere else because a lot of packages will
overwrite it, but I don't know where yet.

searchhost local
# searchhosthost local
# nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.1.1
# nameserver 127.0.0.1
# nameserver 192.168.1.2

That didn't do anything for Firefox, so something else is needed.

Now, when I run:

root /etc: $ifup eth0
Can't find a dhcp client
root /etc: $

It no longer complains about eth0 and can't find a dhcp client.

The main deal is that I still can't get to 192.168.1.1 in Firefox.
Until I can get there, it's not going to work.

Joe