[nflug] Adaptec StorMan Software - Need solution

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at Dynabrade.com
Wed May 3 11:07:56 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

    I have a system I bought from penguin computing. It's running an
adaptec 2130S raid card with the Adaptec Storman software to monitor
hardware events on the Raid card. The software lets me set a smtp
server, reply, and to address for the email notifications. When it goes
to send an email, it puts the Reply address in the header as a 'From:
xxxx', but doesn't use it when sending the MAIL FROM: command during the
SMTP session. It sends MAIL FROM: xxx.dynabrade.com (where xxx is the
hostname). So sendmail on my smtp server bounces it with a ' Domain name
required for sender address' error and wont accept my email. I contacted
Penguin and they tell me:

   " I really wish I could be more help, but as far as configuring the
email notifications in redhat using StorMan, I never had much
luck. This email notification feature not is supported in RedHat as per
Adaptec tech. support. We tried our level best with
Adaptec to make it work, but they never came up with a solution."

I can't blame them, It looks like Adaptec's Storman has an issue with
it's software's formulation of a FROM address for the email notificaiton.

I can' find a way to let sendmail accept these messages, and do away
with the error. If someone has a solution please let me know!

My idea is : I can set an SMTP port on the StorMan software. So I'm
thinking I can write a perl or bash script to listen on a specific port,
and have the script 'receive' the message from the storman software,
repackage the message, and email it to the appropriate person (with a
from address).

Let me know if you think I'm over killing it.

Justin

--
Justin Bennett
Network Administrator