[nflug] Hardware questions

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue May 2 21:25:10 EDT 2006

I was looking at a new Dell machine for home, and a few of the specs
made me wonder:

1) A dual-core processor is seen under Linux as two physical ones, correct?
2) Hyper-threading only works in Window$, correct?
3) is there any difference between these two video cards? Dell sees it
as a $281 difference. I am not much of a gamer these days, and I just
want something decent.

128MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V3100, Dual Monitor VGA or DVI/VGA Capable

128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 1400, Dual Monitor DVI or VGA Capable

Thanks!

You should let us quote you, apple for apple, we beat Dell all the time
and show you why.
1. Not sure.
2. You should be able to take advantage of hyper-threading with the boot
time argument of acpi=ht.
3. Let me guess, the ATI is the more expensive? I would stick with the
NVIDIA although I was impressed lately with the glx stuff ATI has
FINALLY released but I am partial to NVIDIA, I just think NVIDIA kicks
ATI's ass in performance (bang for the buck).