[nflug] NAS storage

Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Mar 30 18:37:44 EST 2006

i agree with bob here, get yourself a SAN and stick a couple of solaris
servers in front of it for NFS, SMB, whatever. in my opinion nothing can
touch solaris when it comes to storage management of network filesystems.

i manage a hitachi 9570 storage array with 1.3tb of disk. the main file
server is a sun sunfire v480 which shares filesystems to solaris, linux,
and windows clients. also attached to it are 7 other linux systems for
IMAP, 2 oracle db's, etc.

i don't mean to sound rude but for $2000 or $3000 your not going to get
very much. how reliable does this need to be? i mean you could throw a
bunch of 250gb sata drives into a linux machine for that but it's not
going to scale well, any load is going to crush it, and what about
managing the filesystems? granted we invested about $100k in our storage
infrastructure which was a steal but it's ultra reliable, scales like no
tomorrow, and has sustained the company for 3+ years. talk to your
management and explain to them that it's an investment in the furture.

drop me a line off list if you're interested, i'll give you a full
breakdown on the setup, prices, what venders to call, etc.