[nflug] Read-only file system after journal commit I/O error

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Fri Mar 17 12:20:57 EST 2006

Thus spake DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI on Fri, 17 Mar 2006

> All,
>
> I have a problem with a FC4 server. I received a syslog message to the
> terminal
>
> <servername> kernel: journal commit I/O error
>
> I rebooted the server, and there were kernel panic errors that didn't
> allow it to finish writing to the hard drive and rebooting. I then hit
> the restart button, and everything seemed to start up correctly.
> Whenever I try and open any files, remove files, or zip any files up, I
> get the message "Read-only file system".
>
> What do I need to do in order to get it back to normal?

You may have already done this but to force an fscheck on reboot:
"shutdown -rF now"

Or try and boot with some kind of bootable media (knoppix, sysresccd)
and see if you can access/repair the filesystem from there. The errors
look like hardware errors though.