[nflug] Printing a pdf

Roelant Ossewaarde rao3 at buffalo.edu
Wed Mar 15 18:34:59 EST 2006

Joe,

The easiest thing is to print to a postscript file. Then you can use
tools like psnup, psresize, etc. (these are called `psutils', http://
www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ajcd/psutils/index.html) to propertly format
your document.

Alternatively, use a2ps which is a swiss army knife that does all
these things, makes coffee and cleans out the bathroom at the same time.

In general, other than with Windows or Mac, printer settings are not
used to change the way your document looks. They are only used as
settings for the printer. If you'd have a printer-option to change
the document orientation or size, you'd change it with printer
settings. The things you are trying to do are generally preprocessing
steps. Some use general preprocessing scripts, consisting of pstools
or other commands, to do preprocessing that needs to be done all the
time.

Bye,

Roelant.