[nflug] ssh/cygwin/remote X question

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 7 23:02:52 EST 2006

Hello all,

I have been kind of out of the loop here in nflug_land whilst this
".mozilla" directory migrated around my network until it found a place
where it was comfortable, a (relatively) recently installed BLAG 30K
(fc3). The computer this system is on, however is mainly just sharing
files and housing this mailbox, but is not one that I am actually in
front of much.

So, I am trying to set up ways to see this mailbox from a more powerful
box (the one I am usually in front of) which has a removable hard drive
for using various systems, among them, another BLAG, windowsXPpro, and
the suse8.2 where the .mozilla directory originally came from, which
will soon probably be either gentoo or ubuntu.

On the BLAG system, I am trying to set up xhost, which will work as root
(but puts me in the wrong .mozilla directory, naturally), but when I try
to ssh over here as a user, I get:

$ ssh 192.168.0.104
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!
   @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now
(man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just
been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote
host is
ac:fc:60:20:39:34:cf:f0:74:83:07:56:17:76:c2:2c.
Add correct host key in /home/qfwfq/.ssh/known_hosts
to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /home/qfwfq/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 192.168.0.104 has changed and you
have requested strict checkin
g.
Host key verification failed.
[qfwfq at smaug ~]$ less ~/.ssh/known_hosts
[qfwfq at smaug ~]$ ssh 192.168.0.104
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!
   @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now
(man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just
been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote
host is
ac:fc:60:20:39:34:cf:f0:74:83:07:56:17:76:c2:2c.
Add correct host key in /home/qfwfq/.ssh/known_hosts
to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /home/qfwfq/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 192.168.0.104 has changed and you
have requested strict checkin
g.
Host key verification failed.

I seem to recall having no problem with ssh to here before, so I'm not
quite sure what is going on or how to work around it (or how to know if
someone is doing anything nasty).

On the XP side of things, I have installed cygwin, which I was hoping
would serve as my xserver there. IT has no trouble ssh-ing into this
box, but when I try to do DISPLAY=x.x.x.x:0 (as well as x.x.x.x:0.0),
export DISPLAY, etc. I get "Could not open display x.x.x.x:0", which is
the error I was getting on BLAG before I opened a certain port in the
system firewall and got it to work at least as root. I am not sure about
the XP firewall thing, and everything I've found has been talking about
SP2 tweaks, and I have been avoiding THAT thing like the plague. Any
idea how I can poke a hole for this to work or even if cygwin is what I
want to use for this?

Advice is always welcome.

Thanks,
S.