[nflug] Swap harddrives

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Jun 28 08:04:55 EDT 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> I have pc running Bind dns non gui Fedora 4 on a pc
> thats not very stable.  Is it possible to take out the
> harddrive and just stick it in another stable pc
> without reinstalling anything. I was thinking of
> swapping nic card to new pc. Is it just plug and chug?
> Any suggestions? Thanks!

I believe starting with Core 4, kudzu no longer will show. Hardware
changes will be on the fly with udev and this was probably the reason
for kudzu's depreciation. The point is, once the kernel can boot, udev
takes over and everything should go automatically. If you were running
X, you might have had to adjust settings there but that's a mute point
since your running level 3. Also, we run into the need of creating new
initrd images here all the time because of the way we "dump" our tweaked
distro(s) (currently Ubuntu Dapper) from system to system. The need to
create initrd images is so the Linux kernel can be found (1) and booted
(2) and this can be if say, you've changed the name of an LVM root
system, etc., or you've changed hard drive controllers and need to have
a module loaded at boot time, like the sata mentioned. Aside from the
LVM changes, if your not dealing with that and it's strictly hardware,
you should be able to just boot the new system with your existing drive
with a rescue cd, mount the system when prompted, run "chroot
/mnt/sysimage", go into your /boot directory and mv your existing initrd
to whateveritwasnamed.bak and then run "mkinitrd
/boot/whateveritwasnamed 2.16.0.0_FC4"(there is a space there between
the d and 2) The 2.16.0.0_FC4 is just the number part of the
whateveritwasnamed file and this corresponds to the kernel number found
in /lib/modules (don't forget the _FC4 part as that is part of the name,
just call it the same as it was and it will be OK). My point to all this
ramblin is that you will not need to specify what sata or other modules
needed to boot, because when you booted and mounted the system with the
rescue cd, it knows what it needed to do so just now and it will be
written into the initrd image your going to create automatically.