[nflug] Swap harddrives

David W. Aquilina david at starkindler.us
Tue Jun 27 23:35:46 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:09:40PM -0400, Dennis Ruzeski wrote:
> It'll should come up w/ no prob. I'd check the loaded modules after the
> first boot and make sure all the hardware is ok..

Not necessarily. Fedora uses an initial ramdisk image (contained in /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img) to boot. If you disassemble the initrd, you'll find that it contains the drivers you need to boot, such as for the disk controller.

If the new system uses the same driver as the old, you shouldn't have any problems. However, if it uses a different driver it won't be able to boot on the new system .

Prior to moving the disk to the new system, you should figure out what controller each system has. If they differ, create a new initrd with the right driver before switching the disk into the new system. For example, if the new system uses an nVidia SATA controller, you would want to run:

mkinitrd --preload=sata_nv -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

NOTE: this will overwrite your existing initial ramdisk image. I suggest you make a backup of it first.

Good luck.

--
David W. Aquilina
david at starkindler.us