[nflug] Edubuntu

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Thu Jun 22 11:32:01 EDT 2006

eric wrote:
> Just some FYI, as some of you may know or have figured out ;) I work at
> school as a systems administrator and have been trying to integrate
> linux into our classrooms because well ..to put it generically it's
> simply feasible on many levels.
> For the past month I have been listening to some talk about Ubuntu from
> this list, so I decided to check it out and saw that Ubuntu also has a
> distro called Edubuntu ...finally thrilled ...that a community did all
> the work at putting together an Educational packaged GNU/Linux nice!
> This Summer I am testing a dual boot with the default as Edubuntu in our
> Library the other boot M$.
> So far I have had to do simple things like installing flash and java to
> the browser and create an easy to get to login for Samba shares on our
> network ...how silly... Linux samba clients connecting to Linux Samba
> servers using Openoffice to open and save everything as word, excel and
> powerpoint ...it brings a tear to only one eye.
> The distro comes with so much educational sofware that it might calm the
> need for expensive software that may or may not work with wine.  I have
> been encouraging our teachers to look for online educational software
> that simply uses a browser, and have asked them to let me review the
> site to make sure it's not using ASP and locked into IE.
>
> If I could only find K-12 biology software I think we'd be set.
>
> Thanks for the Ubuntu talk.

Did you try looking in the repos? Does any of this help?

jesse at dapperdump:~$ sudo apt-cache search biology
Password:
avida-base - Auto-adaptive genetic system for Artificial Life research
biomode - [Biology] An Emacs mode to edit genetic data
bioperl - Perl tools for computational molecular biology
boxshade - [Biology] Pretty-printing of multiple sequence alignments
fastdnaml - [Biology] A tool for construction of phylogenetic trees of
DNA sequences
fastlink - [Biology] A faster version of pedigree programs of Linkage
fastlink-doc - [Biology] Some papers about fastlink
leksbot - An explanatory dictionary of botanic and biological terms
libbio-ruby - bioruby tools for computational molecular biology
libbio-ruby1.8 - bioruby tools for computational molecular biology
libncbi6 - NCBI libraries for biology applications
libncbi6-dbg - NCBI libraries for biology applications (debugging symbols)
libncbi6-dev - NCBI libraries for biology applications (development files)
libvibrant6 - NCBI libraries for graphic biology applications
libvibrant6-dbg - NCBI libraries for graphic biology applications
(unstripped)
libvibrant6-dev - NCBI libraries for graphic biology applications
(development files)
loki - [Biology] MCMC linkage analysis on general pedigrees
loki-doc - [Biology] Postscript manual for loki
mcl - the Markov Cluster algorithm
med-bio - Debian-Med micro-biology packages
med-bio-dev - Debian-Med packages for development of micro-biology
applications
mipe - [Biology] Tools to store PCR-derived data
muscle - [Biology] multiple alignment program of protein sequences
muscle-doc - [Biology] documentation to sequence alignment program
ncbi-epcr - [Biology] Tool to test a DNA sequence for the presence of
sequence tagged sites
ncbi-epcr-data - [Biology] NCBI public STS data
ncbi-tools-bin - NCBI libraries for biology applications (text-based
utilities)
ncbi-tools-x11 - NCBI libraries for biology applications (X-based utilities)
ncbi-tools6 - NCBI libraries for biology applications (transitional package)
njplot - [Biology] A tree drawing program
perlprimer - [Biology] graphical design of primers for PCR
perlprimer-doc - [Biology] tutorial to perlprimer
python-biopython - Python library for bioinformatics
python2.4-biopython - Python library for bioinformatics
readseq - [Biology] Conversion between sequence formats
t-coffee - [Biology] Multiple Sequence Alignment
textopo - [Biology] LaTeX presentation of topology of transmembrane proteins
tigr-glimmer - [Biology] Gene detection in archea and bacteria
tree-puzzle - [Biology] Reconstruction of phylogenetic trees by maximum
likelihood
vibrant6 - NCBI libraries for graphic biology apps (transitional package)
clustalw - [Biology] Global multiple nucleotide or peptide sequence
alignment
clustalw-mpi - [Biology] MPI-distributed global sequence alignment with
ClustalW
clustalx - [Biology] GUI for clustalw
molphy - [Biology] Program Package for MOLecular PHYlogenetics
phylip - [Biology] A package of programs for inferring phylogenies
phylip-doc - [Biology] A package of programs for inferring phylogenies
seaview - [Biology] A multiple sequence alignment editor

--
Jesse Jarzynka
Cyber Source