[nflug] Webchat for Linux

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Jun 22 09:07:02 EDT 2006

JJ Neff wrote:
> OK after an hour or so of futzing I recompiled a PWC driver for my logitech QC pro 4000.
>
> <NOTE> - I bought 2 refurbs from justdeals.com - 1 was great the second was DOA!!! trying to get RMA now</NOTE>  Pete you have a spare I can "borrow" or buy until I get my RMA?
>
> I did get Webcam working with newly compiled PWC module- webcam status is like wireless in Linux and cd burning!  Not easy to figure out for a novice!  Seriously, on my win laptop I downloaded driver - installed rebooted- plugged in camera and took photos and captured video.  In Linux I had to read posts - fail at first few attempts to get driver working, compile fom source sheesh ! Then try to figure out software that works!
>

> BUT bigger question - are there any webchat enabled IM apps for Linux?
> They have to work with Linux AND windows since my spouse will have only a windows laptop to use!
>
> Thanks.
>
> JJN

Incidentally, with the latest Ubuntu, slapped in a wireless Airnet
PCMCIA, all automatic, no special configs needed at all. We are seeing
this more and more. If you stay up to date with your kernels and
packages, the less trouble you'll have. Never really had any burning
problems except way back in the day, even then it was a matter of scsi
stuff loading.
Lately, we have been amazing customers when we install newly configured
boxes with existing printers, digital cameras, just plug 'em in. I love
when they all ask, no software needed??!! In which I reply with a
simplistic, nope. (accompanied with a slight grin) ;)