[nflug] fedora 5 updates question

Mike Richardson mtr3 at buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 20 14:01:39 EDT 2006

David W. Aquilina wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:26:25AM -0700, anthonyriga wrote:
>> Does anyone know how often the updates are done for
>> Fed 5 and yum. I see that the 2.17 kernel is out but
>> its not in the updates on Fedora Project 5 site. Im
>> just using these repos: Im in no hurry for the update
>> just wondering how long it takes them to add the files
>> to their site.
>
> There's no set release schedule, and right now Fedora people should be busy with FC6T1. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it came in the near future.

More than likely (unless you know someone who has nothing better to do
than create RPMs of the latest kernels) you'll end up having to learn
how to build them from source.

There's a really great tutorial/walkthrough here -
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

And of course, for your own safety, download from kernel.org or another
trusted source, and do the md5 checksums. (yes, Virginia, even trusted
repositories get hacked every once in awhile).

--
Michael Richardson
Web Programmer, ePharmacotherapy Networks