[nflug] samba windows xp

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Jun 17 10:05:05 EDT 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> I have never had any real Samba issues connecting from
> Linux to Win xp shares if win xp has username and
> password setup and same on nix box. But I have had
> problems where if the win xp box dosent have a
> password setup (in other words automatic login) I cant
> access win xp. Is there something im not doing right
> or a setup in samba or windows that im missing or the
> password is necessary to get on the xp box?

Some things to try, if the user in windows has no password;

1. Reset the Linux user for samba as such, "smbpasswd -a username", and
when asked for the password and confirmation, just hit the enter key,
this will blank the user password.
2. I have seen problems with renaming an account. In windows it is
possible to rename a user account and then all is suppose to be ok, I
always have problems with this and have since never just renamed a user
account in windows, I will just create a new one.