[nflug] Mame Distribution

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Thu Jun 8 19:23:32 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

This is a Red Herring. Debian (As a whole) has a pleasantly minimalist
approach to base OS install. This is a core strength that lets you decide if
you want a carefully tuned systems suitable for server use or a full
featured desktop system with bells, whistles, geegaws and gomi for you to
admire and fawn over once installed. After installation, you will use apt
(usually via the dselect tool; however I am not certain how ubuntu will
handle this) to select "packages" to install. Each package will map to a
larger group of binaries that make up the needed dependencies. These
binaries are then downloaded from the apt repositories. After you install a
package group (say kde desktop system with open office) you then go back and
install any optional binaries like mame or snes. So expect there to be a
large download of a gig or more to get a nice gnome or kde installation with
enough development tools to build new packages from scratch going.

I should note that you say your system is not networked. You should network
for the install and then remove from the network when you are done. Such an
action would make the install process much smoother and less painful. This
is true for the installation of any modern distribution. As an alternative,
You could download the various updates and packages and place those on a
DVD. As another alternative, you may want to consider buying a distribution
from Cheap Bytes as they will have performed the download and DVD/cd
packaging for you.

HTH

Sam S.