[nflug] Mame Distribution

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Jun 8 14:33:11 EDT 2006

Mark Musone wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Quick question, so I’m finishing putting together a MAME cabinet and
> it’s currently running slackware (yea, I’m a slackhead). Anyways, I’m
> having some weird problems with the machine freezing and it seems to
> be related to audio or framebuffer..stuff that slackware generally is
> a bit behind as far as desktop capability. So instead of trying to
> track down the problem, I’m thinking of going to a different
> distribution which most likely has much better desktop support. Given
> that I’m looking for some suggestions on a decent distribution. I
> don’t want to start a distro war, just looking for about 4 of the
> better options – specifically for MAME use that I’ll try and see which
> works better. As most of you know, I’m a server guy not a desktop guy
> when it comes to linux (and kinda old-school), so any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated!
>

> Some of my current thoughts on possible options are:
>

> Knoppix – sounds like it’s good, but I’m afraid how supported it is in
> a hard drive-installed situation versus a live bootcd
>
> Fedora -- **shrug** is it still alive and recent??
>
> Ubuntu – I heard a lot about it lately, but don’t know a thing
> specific. Don’t know if it’s just an unstable hacker toy or actually
> useful
>
> Suse -- **shrug** do I need to speak german to use it?
>
> Gentoo -- **shrug**
>

> Thanks,
>

> Mark

Is Fedora still alive and recent? The problem with Fedora is that it's
TOO recent, you gotta hang on to your ass with that distro, always on
the edge.
Anywho....after much pestering from my son, we at Cyber Source have gone
the route of using Ubuntu as our distro choice. It started out that we
had some laptops that only Ubuntu detected the drives properly as SATA,
really new controllers. Jesse put alot of work into our current distro
and it's freakin amazing, I will put it up against any box, Linux,
Windows, whatever in the desktop world. It's Debian based, stable as
hell and apt-get rocks (I was really getting tired of yum's shortcomings
and the crazy repo crap). And as far as Debian goes, I am really liking
it for server stuff as it handles PHP much better than Fedora/RedHat,
IMHO of course.
There's my .02