[nflug] Mame Distribution

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Thu Jun 8 14:15:26 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

This seems extreme. Why not fist:

1) update the kernel to 2.6.7 (2.6.11 or better is prefered) or higher to
solve certain vm scheduler issues.
2) install the nvidia (use the -e option for the advaced dialogs and install
the nvidia opengl extensions for a big speed increase) or ati drivers
3) Move from Alsa sound to the OSS add on sound (http://www.opensound.com/)
make certain to the virtual mixer and midi if your sound card is not
supported for midi or mixing.

Thease three items genrally solve most if not all the game performace issues
that various distros I've tried tend to have.

> decent distribution. I don't want to start a distro war, just
> looking for about 4 of the better options - specifically for
> MAME use that I'll try and see which works better. As most of
> you know, I'm a server guy not a desktop guy when it comes to
> linux (and kinda old-school), so any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated!
>

> Some of my current thoughts on possible options are:
>

> Knoppix - sounds like it's good, but I'm afraid how supported
> it is in a hard drive-installed situation versus a live bootcd

It's not recent nor easy to update. Hard drive installs are a real bear to
get working and seem never to be quite as usable as fedora, Suse or or
desktop build.

> Fedora -- *shrug* is it still alive and recent??

Fedora is very much alive and has a system of software repositories for yum
that can use the newest software. Apt support in Fedora is being
discountinued or deprciated.

> Ubuntu - I heard a lot about it lately, but don't know a
> thing specific. Don't know if it's just an unstable hacker
> toy or actually useful

It's very usable and has quite a gamer following.

> Suse -- *shrug* do I need to speak german to use it?

I use Suse. It's easy to go old skool with it. Just edit the /etc files
yourself and ignore yast (the gui) except to install hardware. I like the
elaberate set of apt repositories that keeps kde and audio tools on the
bleeding edge. I'm a little disapointed in their documentation system,
however I'm so comitted to Suse (my core mail server, file server and
virtualzaion (vmware) server all run suse, so I cannot really consider
another distro. Moving a distro would cost me too much time -- in excess of
a week of downtime and reduced functionality probably.

> Gentoo -- *shrug*

It's the *best* gaming distro out there if you have the time to configure
it's elaberate build system in the first place. After that level of pain,
it's very bsd-like in that you rebuild each app (including kde) from source
so it takes allot time to be current. However, it's support forums are
REALLY friendly. Like, REALLY nice.