[nflug] Web cams - cheap and easy?

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Jun 5 07:28:14 EDT 2006

JJ Neff wrote:
> I am looking to get a pair of webcams (preferably USB) for use with a Linux box
> and a Windows laptop.  The requirements are for merely phone chat and the like
> - no real high quality video required.  Inexpensive is important and
> guarranteed to work under Linux is a must.  I'd prefer to get them
> Over-the-counter but online is OK as well.
> Please offer suggestions with links and pros/cons if available.
>
> Also does anyone have a good idea on the lowest price to get DVD-R DL (8.5GB)
> media either in store or online?
>
> THanks
>
> JJN

Web cams are definitely one hardware item that falls into the "ya get
what ya pay for" category. I have had good luck with Logitech Quickcam
Pro's. Here is some on Ebay I found, you can either play the auction or
buy them now for $49 each
http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-QuickCam-Pro-4000-Webcam-video-web-cam_W0QQitemZ8820107083QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could see what they have in the local stores but if you should find
the cam above in a store around here, I would imagine it to be priced
around $99.
I've had good luck buying certain things off Ebay, in fact, for every
MythTV box I build, I go to a guy on Ebay for the PVR-350 card, he sells
them all day long, brand new for $140, can't touch that price anywhere
and they have been brand new in box and work great, just an example.