[nflug] Cisco Switch question on cloned NIC card

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 16:31:59 EDT 2006

It sounds like they aren't configured for load balance,  but as
failover (hence the single mac for both ports)

How doe you have then comfigured for sure on the server side?

One way you can tell is to enable full logging/debugging on the switch
and pull the connections out one at a time and note the log entries
generated. (it'll also give you clues if you have failover configured
correctly), beware this isn't recommended practice on production
servers unless you have a downtime window that can be made use of.

--- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Company I am working for has about 20 or so servers
> setup with the Intel GIG NIC cards cloned for
> redundancy and network load balance. The nic cards
> have 2 ports on them  but 1 mac address. I am trying
> to figure out what ports the actual CAT5 cable is
> connecting too from the server to the the GIG switch
> without tracing everything manually becasuse the
> cables are a mess.
>  I have been sucessful getting the ports on the non
> Intel cards that only have 1 port on them. I have been
> doing a show arp then using the show mac-address-table
> | in nnnn
>  where nnnn has any character of the mac address in
> it...
>
> It will then show you the port the mac address is
> assigned to..
> The NIC cards with 2 cat5 cables going to the switch
> only show 1 port becasue there is only 1 mac address
> it reconizes. Any suggestions on how to show the other
> port?

Dave J. Andruczyk