[nflug] asterisk stuff

C. Hatton Humphrey chumphrey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 15:56:26 EDT 2006

On 6/1/06, Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'm really lost in acronym hell, zap, sip, etc., but first question
> I would like to start with is, Does anyone know if it's possible to use
> my skype account for an outgoing trunk? (yes I have skype out) (trunk?
> kinda sounds like I know what the hell I'm talkin about..) I've dug
> around on skype's site and googled but haven't found anything relevant.
> Clues anyone?

It's an alphabet soup, here's the three you mentioned:
SIP - Simple Interchange Protocol, the most commonly used VoIP protocol.
IAX - Inter-Asterisk Exchange, Asterisk specific VoIP protocol.
ZAP - Zaptel communications, another name for landline.

As for Skype you cannot use them - if you wanted a free connection you
could go with Free World Dialup.

I've been working with Asterisk for a while now, it's a working platform.

Hatton