[nflug] XEN

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 26 15:20:04 EDT 2006

Darin Perusich wrote:
> if you install OpenSuSE 10.1 make sure that you perform the online
> update durning installation to apply all the system patches. the
> packaging system is pretty busted and it's way easier if they're applied
> during install then afterwards.
>
> on second thought if you choose OpenSuSE stick with 10.0 and wait until
> 10.2 so they can fix everything that novell forced them to push out the
> door.

uh-oh. It'a bit late for that kind of thinking. Actually, 10.1 has been
working pretty well here, particularly in getting all the 3D stuff
(bzflag, blender, cube, etc) going with no hassles at all (where I spent
months trying unsuccessfully to get that set up in 10. For some reason
that I don't understand the final install step (hardware) still fails,
and I get nothing but a black screen trying to run sax2, but as long as
the GL/3D stuff works, I don't care. I have been doing the update at the
end of the suse install regularly from the start (and I've broken this
system enough times that that's quite a few times).

The only real trouble I've found is in playing videos of various kinds.
I have installed the w32codecs various times, and I see all the usual
suspects in /usr/lib/codecs, but mplayer is the only player that will
play avis, mpegs, and the like. I also have libdvdread-0.9.4-160, and
libdvdcss 2-1.2.9-1 installed, but once again mplayer will only play
dvds jerkily (unwatchably). Xine and Kaffeine won't seem to play
anything, do they (or suse) look elsewhere for them?

If you knew the solution for THAT one, I would be truly grateful.

I miss my kaffeine ;-).

Thanks,
S.