[nflug] Disk Image/Restore

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Jul 26 10:33:39 EDT 2006

Jonathan Skulski wrote:
> Pete, you are posting information that is incorrect. I was trying to
> correct it, there's no need to get so defensive.
>
> You said:
>
> "yes, that command is just blanking the mbr just like fixmbr (xp) and
> fdisk /mbr (dos/98)"
>
> "If we say, put xp on a drive that previously had
> grub on the mbr, we could ghost, dd, tar the xp copy onto the drive and
> then it would fail to boot UNTIL we blank the mbr."
>
> This is wrong, a mbr of all zeros WILL NOT boot windows. fixmbr and
> fdisk /mbr do not just blank out the mbr. Like i said before: "dd
> if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=1 bs=512" is not the same thing.
>
>> IF you READ the entire thread, you would see what the original questions
>> were and how my answers related. Why don't you try reading the threads
>> and understanding what the questions were before offering up your
>> answers.
>
> Your misinformation can be as relevant as you want, but that doesn't
> make it correct. Maybe you should get back to uninstalling and
> reinstalling distributions.
>
> jsk

Maybe you should get back to reading class. My directions were to copy
in the xp (then do a fixmbr), if 98 (then do a fdisk /mbr). I never ONCE
said to use dd to blank the mbr. Call blanking what you will, in our
case, those commands erase our grub, it may put something else there but
I could give a rats ass what it does put there, because I can later
install grub and still get back to xp/98. The focus was on how to copy
xp/98 into a new drive and not have a problem, I suggested the
"blanking  or fix as it's now called" the mbr as a failsafe option that
hurts nothing, just in case he was using a drive that had something else
on it already and I NEVER suggested any other method than the ones
described above. I also don't fully get into every detail that might
come along as I am working and giving this advise freely and don't need
someone like yourself that doesn't comprehend what he reads too well in
that he fuses what others have said into my context. There's always
gotta be some ass like yourself that pops up every now and starts a
flame. Keep your advise to yourself and I'll think twice about sending
my advise to this list from now on, I won't waste my time.