[nflug] Samba 3 and Cups

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Mon Jul 10 07:55:17 EDT 2006

Hey Folks,

    I just switch a server over to Redhat 3ES (was 2.1) redhat 2.1 was
using samba 2.2 and the good old LPR printing system, Redhat 3 is samba
3 with CUPS. After a little messing around  I got everything working
pretty well, except every now and then I'll try to print something and
get an error that "can't start print job". It will happen at different
times, every 4th print, every 20th, ect. Initially I thought I was
running into the CUPS limit for connections per host (since their all
comming from localhost via samba), I upped that to 10 million or
something. It seems to co-incide with an entries in /var/log/messges:

Permission denied-- user not allowed to delete, pause, or resume print
job. User name:xxxxxx

This from what I gather is because I'm not listed was a printer admin,
but that's ok, I'm just printing, not deleteing or anything.   Unless
windows 2k is trying to do something in the background with the queue.
This is the first time I'm messed with allowing windows to see the print
queue. with options:

my printers section
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
        print ok = yes
        guest ok = no
        lpq command   =      /usr/bin/lpq  -P%p
        use client driver = yes

I'm not sure if this is causing it, I can't restart samba at the moment,
and a pkill -HUP doesn't seem to cut it.

Any one had any similar problems with cups and samba 3?

Thanks
Justin

--

Justin Bennett