[nflug] Local YUM Install...

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Jul 7 11:22:55 EDT 2006

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:
> Yeah, I tried installing the acx100 stuff. Things seemed to go well
> until I needed to recompile the kernel. The instructions I was using (
> http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/ACX ) had me do a "make menuconfig".
> I had no idea what to do with the menu, and haven't had much time to
> look into it, so I got stuck at that point.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/pointers with "make menuconfig" or
> getting madwifi/acx100 to work in FC5?
>
> I'll look into the ndiswrapper and see how that works.
>
> -Dan

> cybersource should be able to get your wireless working.  it should be
> the acx100 chipset, which, though it is a pita, but workable.
> you could also try to get ndiswrapper working with it (would require
> finding the sources, and installing them, which can be a pain, but
> fairly reliable)
>

> DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:
>
>> There is no ethernet port on the laptop - the wireless card I'm
>>
> setting
>
>> up is my only way to get to the internet.

>> DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:
>>

>>> All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to configure my DWL-650+ wireless card on FC5. The
>>>

>> problem
>>

>>> is that there are no other network cards on my laptop, so I need to
>>>

>> copy
>>

>>> RPMs onto a cd, and get them on the laptop that way. I am trying to
>>> install Madwifi, and I am having trouble installing the RPMs
>>>

>> manually,
>>

>>> and I wanted to try doing a YUM install. As mentioned before, I
>>>
> have
>

>> no
>>

>>> internet connectivity, so I'd like to copy all of the files (that
>>>

>> YUM
>>

>>> would grab) onto a CD, and have YUM (on my laptop) look to the CD
>>>
> as

>>> source for the RPMs and install madwifi that way.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any pointers on how to do this?! Thanks.
>>>
>>> -Dan

>> Because the dependancies will be based on what is installed already,
>> you
>> would have to do it from a box that had the exact packages installed
>>
> as
>
>> the one you have. It would be far easier to just take your box to
>> somewhere you have internet access and do it all via yum.

You shouldn't have to do any kernel recompiling. If you had a working
internet connection, it could all be done via yum. There are many
madwifi packages in the repos, like madwifi,
madwifi-hal-kmdl-?kernelnumber, madwifi-kmdl-?kernelnumber, etc.,
without those packages, your not going to get very far.