[nflug] windows media player files

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 00:21:01 EST 2006

--- "Robert F. Stockdale IV" <javabob at adelphia.net> wrote:

> On my system (Gentoo 2005.1) Aviplay is the only program I've been
> successful at getting wmv
> files to play. I also would like one program to handle all video
> formats.
> Bob

You need to edit your USE flags in /etc/make.conf to get things like
win32 codecs and whatnot enabled.. I use the following use flags (which
might be excessive for your needs), just edit to taste.  You should
open a second terminal and look at /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc as
that describes what the use flags mean.

My USE flags from /etc/make.conf:

USE="xanim real cdparanoia matroksa bidi nptl quicktime gif gui X aac
3dnow 3dnowext avi mythtv mmx mmxext sse sse2 network imagemagick a52
divx4linux oggvorbis openal opengl gtk gtk2 gnome alsa kde -ldap xft
freetype truetype dga rtc live xv tga svga libcaca lirc  ggi dts
directfb aalib acl cdr cups curl dvd dv dvdread fame v4l2 win32codecs
v4l fbcon encode dvb arts gstreamer esd foomaticdb xprint ppds jack
java joystick jpeg mjpeg xvid nvidia theora mad mpeg pam ruby samba qt
sdl usb videos wmf xmms ssl visualization"

For the basics you would need "win32codecs oggvorbis a52 divx4linux avi
aac quicktime mad mpeg wmf xvid mjpeg jpeg gstreamer aalib dvd dv
dvdread" and then mplayer and xinewill both be able to play windows WMV
files.

Once you change your USE flags, you can run one thing that'll update
your system to enable that functionality that you wanted.

"emerge --newuse -uDa world"  NOTE: this can be time consuming
depending on how many packages the new use flags affect, but the wait
is worthwhile.

The important one is "--newuse" as it tells portage to check all
installed packagesagainst the new use flags and to recompile any
package that depended on those flags.

Dave J. Andruczyk