[nflug] community GNU/Linux education

robert_todd at adelphia.net robert_todd at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 21 22:40:13 EST 2006

---- Daniel V <cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dave,
> Thank your for the suggestions.
>
> 1. Who - I havn't gotten any commitments from anyone
> else for this advocacy /education project, so thus far
> it's just me.

     Dan, please feel free to count me in on this.

> 2. What - Helping people learn about GNU/Linux.

     This is why I tend to preach the gospel according to Linus
     at work.

> 3. Where - Any place that will donate space. Any extra
> resources would be a plus.

     Perhaps one of the rooms at the Central library?

> 4. When - Wed. through Sat. mornings, occasionally
> less days.

     Mornings would be excellent for me.

> 5. Why - Why should people come to me? I got my start
> through GNU/Linux community education. I entered into
> the IT field, getting my foot in the door through my
> linguistics training, I worked my way up, doing
> systems administration. I am proof of what free
> community education and free software can do for you,
> if you apply yourself.

     I can answer this one, too :)  For me, I have been an
     RHCE going on 2 years now, I do IT consutling based on
     Linux on the side, plus manage a webhosting company
     on the side located here in Lancaster, NY.

> I want to for people to realize that they have a
> choice when it comes to computer operating systems,
> and for people to realize that "quality computing" and
> "uptime" are within their reach.

     Oh, and I totally agree with you on this one.  Are
     we including "system and network stability" in your
     use of "quality computing" here, Dan? :)

> Experienced Linux geeks interested in giving back to
> the community are most welcome to pitch in. This would
> be an experiment to see if people interested in
> GNU/Linux would be willing to check it out.

     Are we "geeks" or are we "enlightened IT professionals,"
     Dan?  Or is there a difference? :)

> I'm not interested in starting an organization with
> the goal of acquiring tax-exempt status. I want this
> to be somewhat fun and interesting, as far as
> computing goes. I would want this to be family-safe. I
> want this to be totally free.

     Just like Linux itself.

> Some possible scenarios are to have regular workshops,
> open time for installs/troubleshooting. I am not
> interested in providing free support for Enterprise
> users, neither am I interested in doing anything for
> people who refuse to study the documentation and won't
> make an honest effort to do things on their own. I
> realize Newbies are unsure of where to start. These
> people would be the people I think I could help the
> most.

     And it would also provides a means of exposure of the
     Linux platform as well.

     I wholeheartedly believe that it is up to us "enlightened"
     Linux users to spread the word about using Linux as not
     only a viable choice for a secure, sound, stable operating
     platform for servers both large and small, but also as a
     viable choice for, as you put "quality" home "computing."

> I haven't gotten a domain name yet. I'm considering
> this option. I will start putting together a list of
> goals and how I'd like to proceed. I expect a
> prospective sponsoring company/organization/individual
> will want to know what to expect and if the concept is
> worthwhile and feasible.

     Well, if you do come around to an idea about hosting,
     I would be happy to contribute space and the domain
     for the proposed website.

> regards,
> Daniel Villarreal

Regards,