[nflug] Ubuntu question (Backing Up your media for fair use)

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 09:40:58 EST 2006

--- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can do this now blindfolded (well as long as I can see the keyboard:-)
> 1. dvdbackup to back up the full disk ( I reuse the same cmd line and jsut
> change the output dir
> dvdbackup -M -i/dev/hdd -n<NAMEOFMOVIE> -o /opt/vault (your location may
> vary)
>
> 2. dvdshrink in wine to either turn movie only or menus and movies into iso
> depends on size of movie, if I want Spanish language or how many subs etc

faster method:  doesn't need dvdbackup to be run.
first:  in ~/.wine/dosdevices. you need two symlinks for your CDrom drive.  the
first (let's assume your CDrom under wine is "d:")  you need a symlink called
"d:" that points to the MOUNTPOINT of your cdrom (in my case, it's /dev/dvd)
The next symlink is called "d::" (notice the double colon)  this points to the
PHYSICAL DEVICE under /dev,  so for me that's /dev/hda (I'm all scsi so my
first IDE cdrom is hda,  for most users this is probbaly hdc)

so in ~/.wine/dosdevices I have:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Jan  7 17:19 d: -> /mnt/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Jan  7 19:28 d:: -> /dev/hda

The next and MOST IMPORTANT STEP.  for getting dvdshrink to work under wine,
is you MUST MUST MUST have hte DVD you want to backup MOUNTED before you run
dvdshrink otherwise it'll bitch saying it can't find it.  Once mounted, click
on Open Disc and it should find your dvd,  then you can let it do the
pre-analyze (takes about 3-4 minutes) and then select what you want to copy
over and let it run.  On my dual athlon 1.2Ghz box a DVD backup with shrink to
fit a DVD 4.7 .iso takes about 45 minutes.

Once done I use a similar growisofs command below which works great.

> I have menu shortcuts for this and other win apps I run in wine so to me they
> are seamless
>
> 3. burn to disk with growisofs or gnomebaker if I feel GUI
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=8 -Z /dev/hdc=/opt/vault/MOVIE.ISO
> *************
>
> I used Xdvdshrink for a time to stay linux only but it only grabbed one lang
> and one sub and most of the time I want 2 languages and all subs, also the
> dependencies and versioning started getting irritating.  The author is a fine
> person (answered mail and was happy to receive input) and when it is as easy
> and as "intelligent" about the movie as dvdshrink is I'll happily use it.
>
> The whole tutorial is at http://www.madcarters.com/content/view/10/95/
> Debian specific tutorials but they apply to most others.  Other tutorials
> there
> are good as well.

Dave J. Andruczyk