[nflug] external usb storage

anthonyriga torrodimerda at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 21:51:59 EST 2006

Thanks for the info . Im gonna get and external one build my own thanks again !

Dave Andruczyk <djandruczyk at yahoo.com> wrote:

--- anthonyriga  wrote:

> Anyone have suggestions on compatable usb storage drives that are Linux
> compatable? Also how about just the  external enclosure itself and me adding
> the drive. Are ther any enclosures themselves Linux compatable? I have been

AFAIK all external USB starage cases are pretty much linux supported,  though
you'll get higher sustained speed with firewire.  I have an external firewire
chassis with a 160GB samsung drive and it works beautifully.  It's one of those
things where it "just works",  no need for any drivers, just plug in, partition
it, format it and mount.
Basically the USB chassis's and firewire ones show up to linux as a USB block
device, i.e. a disk, and they're named according to SCSI terminology, starting
with sda and going up (sdb, sdc ...)

Make sure your kernel has both USB support AND SCSI support either compiled in
or as modules.  DO NOT under ANY circumstances compile in or modularize the
"Low Performance USB Block driver" in the kernel config (Device Drivers->Block
Devices section) as that is an old remnant from the beginning of USB in linux
and it will cause the normal USB block devices to NOT work or show up.
According to the help for that kernel option it states:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB:

 This driver supports certain USB attached storage devices
such as flash keys.

Warning: Enabling this cripples the usb-storage driver.

If unsure, say N.

The driver that you want (and is turned on in 99% of distros out there) is the
USB Mass Storage Support,  under Device Drivers->USB Support.
Help for this option states:

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE:

 Say Y here if you want to connect USB mass storage devices to your computer's
USB port. This is the driver you need for USB floppy drives, USB hard disks,
USB tape drives, USB CD-ROMs, USB flash devices, and memory sticks, along with
similar devices. This driver may also be used for some cameras and card
readers.

This option 'selects' (turns on, enables) 'SCSI', but you probably also need
'SCSI device support: SCSI disk support' (BLK_DEV_SD) for most USB storage
devices.

Hope this helps...

Dave J. Andruczyk