[nflug] Thunderbird 1.5 ignoring url's

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Thu Jan 5 20:54:48 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe <josephj at main.nc.us>
To: NFLUG <nflug at nflug.org>
Subject: [nflug] Thunderbird 1.5 ignoring url's
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:13:58 -0500

> Hi.  I'm using Thunderbird 1.5 on Linux.  It works great except
> when I click on a URL in a message it changes color for a moment
> and then changes back.  Nothing else happens.  I have had this
> working correctly in Mozilla 1.7.11 .... forever.
>
> What do I have to config, etc. to get this to work?

For some reason this is a very round about thing to do. Make sure thunderbird is closed (or it will hose all of your changes) and change to the ~/.thunderbird/*.default directory. Then edit prefs.js . If the following lines are present, then edit them accordingly. Or else just add them in:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");

Then edit user.js:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

You may not have a user.js file. I didn't. Just create it.

There may be another way to do this by now. And actually, maybe you only need to edit user.js and then prefs.js will automatically pick up the changes. Its been so long. Does anyone else know exactly? Maybe just try editing user.js first and if that doesn't work then make the changes to prefs.js also.

Peaches
-Josh