[nflug] Linux FTP Recomendations.

Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 5 10:55:02 EST 2006

Almost any distribution will be good enough for what you need. Just be
careful on the install (no real fatal issues, just making sure you get
the best performance), so that you only install what you need for an ftp
server.
For instance, on a Red Hat/Fedora install, do a custom install, and make
sure you only check the box dealing with ftp services, and leave the
rest unchecked. This makes your machine much faster (not tring to run
gnome/kde when all you are trying to do is dish up files) and more
secure (tough to hack through xwindow system when it's not even
installed) In about 10-15 minutes you have an ftp server

Depending on how secure/fast you need it, if you go to the linux
documentation project, (http://en.tldp.org) you can find, on the guides
page :

http://en.tldp.org/guides.html
... a really good book on how to lock down a red hat system
http://en.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/index.html
(the above is the html version, there are links on the guides page to
get to a pdf version for printing)
hope this helps!
Rich