[nflug] From Red Hat to LUGs: greetings, updates, requests

Joshua Ronne Altemoos joshua at wolfnix.net
Thu Feb 23 20:32:47 EST 2006

        This is for more for theh BPLUG. There has not been a NFLUG meeting
a quite awhile due to lack of attendence and lack of interset. Bob was the
one who had the place at the asoina centre and it was
always on the 3rd sunday of the month from 1-4

Josh

 ptgoodman wrote:        As someone who will never attend any nlug ( or
other ) meetings, I feel compelled to offer some input on meetings. I live
way down near Jamestown so attendance is inconvenient at best. For the
most part, people are more likely to have some free time on weekends.

 I'd recommend that your nlug meetings ( or other regularly held meetings
) be held at the same place on the same weekend ( e.g. 1st weekend ) and
the same day ( e.g. Sat ) and the same time ( e.g. 10:00 AM ) every month.
The main benefit of this is that people will know well ahead of time
exactly when the meeting for that month is to be held and can schedule
their lives to attend the meeting if they can do so. This approach worked
well for the Northern VA Linux User's Group. You may or may not decide to
skip major holiday weekends. The last item of the agenda for any meeting
should be the intended subject of discussion for the next meeting as well
as whether that next meeting should be held. I don't claim to be this
organized myself, but this approach seems worth a shot to avoid the
postings asking what, where, when every month. Now, I'll insult everybody,
as is my habit, by saying I know very few people who want the entire
weekend with their families. But I agree that many people just want to do
their own things. It's a matter of priorities and life is full of
compromises.

 It seems not possible to satisfy all the members all the time. The best
you can hope for is satisfying most people most of the time.

 good luck,
 ptg