[nflug] restoring windows w/out bothering Linux

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Tue Feb 21 11:13:18 EST 2006

Thus spake Cyber Source on Tue, 21 Feb 2006

> joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:
>>  Thus spake Cyber Source on Sun, 19 Feb 2006

>> >  ahhhhh I see. If it came with the laptop and he didnt see such an option
>> >  then I can pretty much guarantee that it was a restore cd and not a
>> >  windows installation cd. If he already did this, he hosed his Linux.
>>
>>  Oh yeah. The linux partition was hosed before I started this thread. I
>>  was just wondering if there was anything I could do for future
>>  reference. They were definitely restore cd's. I should have mentioned
>>  that first. But its disapointing, since every new computer comes only
>>  with restore cd's. Actually, its not even that anymore. I helped my dad
>>  buy a new computer recently and there is only a restore partition! I
>>  mean, how cheap can you get! What if the disk goes bad? Anyway, I was
>>  leary to start uninstalling all the shite that comes on a new computer
>>  because I've never backed up windws from a 'restore partition' before.
>>  I'm sure its pretty easy though. Sorry, windows just gets my blood
>>  boiling.
>>
>>  -Josh J
>>
> I don't blame ya, we see this shit everyday, welcome to our world lol.
> Yep the ol restore partition only thing, so cheap they can't include the cd
> anymore, probably somewhere buried in the new and improved EULA, who knows.
> Anyway, what we do here to get around such limits is restore the drive as it
> would have it, then ghost the whole thing to another drive, repartition the
> original drive (only the partition actually holding windows, then ghost it
> all back to the newly resized partition. With some restore cd/partitions,
> this is the only option so it doesnt take the entire drive for windows.

Oh man, what a pain in the arse.

> SHAMELESS PLUG TIME......
>
> btw, Cyber Source builds custom pc's where that would not be an issue, you
> should have priced with us. I will put our pc's up against anyones in both
> price and performance.

You know what, it never crossed my mind. I figured that you guys only
did Linux. I had toyed with the idea of getting my dads comp setup with
Linux but I thought that I would be on the phone with hime once a day to
help him figure stuff out. I probably should have had you guys do it and
setup all of his basic stuff for easy use, email, browsing, cd/dvd
burning, etc.