[nflug] need idea

Roelant Ossewaarde rao3 at buffalo.edu
Mon Feb 20 11:33:09 EST 2006

I had the same problem. I now have one machine that has scp enabled. I
have my client scp to that machine, but with a wrong username/password
(in my case: hifrombuffalo). Since the username doesn't exist, the IP
shows up in my ftp and auth-log, together with the username that tried
to log on.

I do that every two hours (which is my rotation time for auth/ftp-logs),
so if I ever need to check the IP-number, I just grep hifrombuffalo in
auth.log. Voila!