[nflug] restoring windows w/out bothering Linux

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Sun Feb 19 14:17:59 EST 2006

Thus spake Cyber Source on Sun, 19 Feb 2006

> joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:
>>  Is it possible to reinstall windows without messing up your Linux
>>  installation? Yesterday my roommate got a virus on his windows xp. No
>>  matter what we tried it never got back to normal. So I told him to go
>>  ahead and reinstall it and it would leave linux alone. This is
>>  apparently not correct in all cases. I did it once in the past with
>>  windows98. It simply recognized the FAT partition on hda1 as the C: drive
>>  which I had set
>>  aside for it. It installed without incident and I just had to restore
>>  the master boot record. winxp doesn't really give you any choices on
>>  install. Is it possible to do this? I hope that it is. Whereas linux
>>  will be fine indefinitely windows will definitely
>>  have to be restored at some point (in my experience).
>>
>>  -Josh J
>>
> During the install/reinstall, there will be a selection to be made on the
> partition, just reuse the one that it was using before. You will have to
> reinstall GRUB after.

I wasn't there when he installed winxp, but he said that there was no
such option. In the future I will have to check it out and see if there
is an "advanced" setup option. This copy of winxp came with his laptop.
So I don't know if it might be more dummied-down then when you buy em standalone.