[nflug] Making A CD Into A Zip FileWhile PreservingPermissions (A Bit OT)...

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Fri Feb 17 15:42:24 EST 2006

It's going over a MAN, not the internet.

>>> Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com 02/17/06 3:39 PM >>>
are you planning on running NFS over the internet? i would not
recommend
that if you where. as long as the remote server can talk/ping the
remote
machine this isn't a problem.

on the local server:
- insert the cd into the drive, it should mount at /cdrom/cdrom0.
- add "share -F nfs -o ro /cdrom/cdrom0" to /etc/dfs/dfstab
   echo "share -F nfs -o ro /cdrom/cdrom0" >> /etc/dfs/dfstab
- start nfs.server script
   /etc/init.d/nfs.server start
- test that it's shared
   mount local_server:/cdrom/cdrom0 /mnt
   ls /mnt
- if you see the contents of the cdrom unmount the nfs mount.
   umount /mnt

on the remote server:
- mount the nfs filesystem
   mount local_server:/cdrom/cdrom0 /mnt
- copy the cd to a remote directory
   cd /mnt; tar -cf - . |(cd /dir/with/alot_of_space; tar -xf -)
- when copy is complete unmount the nfs mount
   umount /mnt

enjoy.

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator