[nflug] IPTABLES TCP unclean

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at Dynabrade.com
Thu Feb 16 13:16:35 EST 2006

I've been working with this guy for a couple of days. His mail server
can't connect to mine, and he can't telnet to any port I gave him, from
his PC, (I'm assuming behind the same firewall as his mail server) ports
53,25 with the unclean enabled. I tried several port just to make sure
it wasn't a rule just with port 25.

I have 3 machines throughout the world running with the same unclean
option. He can't connect to any port on any of them either. Until I turn
the unclean option off. Then no problem. I assume his gateway is doing
something the unclean module doesn't like.

I'm just not sure everything the unclean option looks for, I know it
does some header checking for invalid flags and such. I don't know if
it's a problem if I allow unclean from his IP, or just disable it all
together. I'm concerned about security, not neccesarily about traffic,
or load on the TCP stacks processing 'unclean' packets.

Justin

Justin Bennett
Network Administrator
Dynabrade, Inc.