[nflug] Problem With Perl After OS X System Restore

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Feb 14 21:08:13 EST 2006

ptgoodman wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> The only times I've had my Macs simply refuse to boot ( once with the
> Classic OS with Power Computing 604e system and once under OS X and a
> G4 Power Mac) ), the system disk turned out to be bad. Both systems
> would boot sometimes, sometimes not. The OS X system is extremely
> robust. I know this will be painful, but I would suggest a complete
> reformatting of the system disk, mapping out bad blocks. It may turn
> out that the disk has to many bad blocks allow reformatting.
> Alternately, you could get Norton Ultilities or Alsoft Diskwarrior to
> check the disk for problems. If the hardware test check out, then it's
> a hardware problem. If you can get the Mac to boot at all, before
> trying the above, you might run Disk Utility under
> Applications/Utilities, checking the S.M.A.R.T. Status---that can tell
> you if the disk is starting to fail. Long shot, but desperate time
> call for desperate measures.
>
> Good luck,
>
> pete
>

> DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Although this is an OS X question, its still a *nix question ;-)
>>
>> Recently, my Mac decided that it wasn't going to boot up, and wasn't
>> getting past the grey apple/spinning gear screen. I called Apple support
>> and after a series of random attempts to get it to boot, they advised me
>> to do a restore of the OS with the install CD. I was running version
>> 10.3.9, and my install CD was version 10.3.7. So I did a system restore,
>> then upgraded to 10.3.8, then to 10.3.9 and installed the updates. All
>> my data and applications were available and running no problem. Last
>> night I tried installing some Perl modules, and I got an error saying
>> that it could not find the file "perl.h" within the $PERL_LIB/.../CORE/
>> directory. The file didn't exist in the directory, but when I did a
>> locate for perl.h it said that it was in the /System Restore
>> 1/$PERL_LIB/.../CORE directory. The file was not in this directory
>> either. In addition to this, the system could not find any of my make
>> programs.
>>
>> Has anyone ever run into this problem before, or know why this would
>> happen after the system restore?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Dan

Absolutely, a hard drive test and complete hardware test is in order
here. You have to ask yourself, why did this happen in the first place?
And just in case you might think that's a hassle, imagine if you go
through all the trouble to get it all working right again, then it
happens again and/or this time you loose data......Whenever we get
systems that act strange, we watch them like a hawk, because it happened
for a reason, finding out the exact reason, well, there's the hard part.