[nflug] welcome to GNU/Linux !

Daniel V cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 11:48:59 EST 2006

Hi Tommy,
Welcome to the LUG (Linux User's Group).

I see your question was addressed.

I highly recommend you try a few different GNU/Linux
distributions, it would be very productive. For a new
user I recommend ...

1. CentOS's CentOS4.2 (http://centos.org) (They
actually offer several OS's, based on Red Hat
Enterprise
offerings,http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat
).
Why am I recommending RedHat Enterprise variant over
the Fedora Project offering
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/,
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora)?
I think it's critical to get a New User's system up
and running as easily as possible, and it needs to be
easily configurable. I tried Fedora a while back and
it didn't provide the functionality I needed, plus I
wanted something that easily updated.
I would like to try the new Fedora OS, to see how far
it's improved. Why am I recommending an Enterprise
GNU/Linux over something that is specifically marketed
to new users? I feel people should see the power of a
robust system, and since it's widely used, you're more
likely to find answers to your questions, and plus
there's lots of information out there on it, starting
with Red Hat's documentation. Of course, there's a
tradeoff between usability and ease of use.

2. Knoppix (http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)
A bootable GNU/Linux distribution, available in
several variants, http://www.knoppix-std.org, for
example ).

3. Damnsmalllinux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/)
This 50 MB Knoppix-based distro is a powerhouse, which
easily and quickly installs to your hard drive.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall

Over at distrowatch.com, I see that Ubuntu is the most
popular distro, so I need to check that out.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu

It pays to experiment with different distributions, I
know that there is so time to try them all out. Where
I've had problems with older computers and Knoppix,
Damnsmalllinux has worked fine.

I'll be posting a meeting for community education in
Buffalo shortly, perhaps you might be interested in
attending.

regards,
Daniel Villarreal

P.S. My wife is interested in GNU/Linux, it's a matter
of showing her how to do things she would usually do
in that other OS.

--- Tommy Rogers <magtom2003 at dm-dos.com> wrote:

Hello All,
I just wanted to say hi.  I am new to this group. I've
been running Linux for about two weeks now.  As of
this point it is just more for fun than anything else.
 I am having a blast and finding myself wanting to
spend every possible minuet fooling around with it.
(to the dismay of my wife :) ).

Because I'm so new at all of this please forgive me
for asking a lot of questions.  I have found that the
Linux community, as a whole, is VERY supportive of
newbies, which I'm very greatful.

My first question:
I have installed a game that has a Linux Client
called Neverwinters Nights.  I can get the game
working fine, but because the game itself has software
mouse rendering the mouse is very jumpy.  A user has
created a program called NWMOUSE and it will force the
game to use hardware rendering instead of software.  I
have been having problems getting the program to
complies.  Here is the error message:

tommy at org-xandros:/usr/local/games/nwn$
./nwmouse_install.pl
NOTICE: NWMouse: Executing: gcc -Inwmouse/libdis -g
-fPIC -shared
-Wl,-soname,libdisasm.so nwmouse/libdis/libdis.c
nwmouse/libdis/i386.c
-o nwmouse/libdis/libdisasm.so
NOTICE: NWMouse: Executing: gcc -shared -g
-I/usr/include/libelf
-Inwmouse/libdis -o nwmouse/nwmouse.so
nwmouse/nwmouse_cookie.c
nwmouse/nwmouse_link.S nwmouse/nwmouse_link2.S
nwmouse/nwmouse.c -ldl
-lelf -Xlinker -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXcursor -lSDL
NOTICE: NWMouse: Please check for errors above
NOTICE: NWMouse: nwmouse executable built. Please
modify your nwn
startup command to
NOTICE: NWMouse: set LD_PRELOAD to include
'nwmouse.so', before
executing nwmain.

Does anybody have any Ideas?  Thanks !

Tommy