[nflug] Server Specs - Need Some Comments

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Feb 2 13:12:35 EST 2006

As the others have mentioned, the next steps is to really understand your
application and to do load testing/benchmarking. I assume you have your php
application..test it..pound the heck out of it (apache's ab is a very good
tool) you need to determine your load capacity and system bottlenecks. that
can be done on essentially any system such as your test/development system
before you even get a dedicated server. The same goes for your database.
there are a number tools besides just writing a quick script to pound the
heck out of the database server. know the max number of queries per second
capacity for the system, using queries that are the same as will be in the
production environment. a single incorrect index will cause over a tenfold
decrease in performance. Using an incorrect algorithm will also cause a
significant performance decrease.

know your application inside and out..by completely knowing and
understanding your application, your system needs will usually present
itself.

My off the cuff response is IMHO a base need. you almost always want two
servers to separate web and database (OS tuning and resource needs are
conflicting between web and database needs). You generally want as much
memory as can be reasonably afforded for the DB. Db's like memory and will
use what you have. You also generally want SCSI for hardware raid and
performance. Yes, you can go sata and jimmy-rig it, but why? it's going to
be a production system. the last thing you want to do is be cheap about it
and then have a migration nightmare later on.

-Mark