[nflug] Verizon dsl

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri Dec 22 22:39:07 EST 2006

Like Adelphia / Road Runner you will have a DSL modem that connects to
the phone line, then to your PC on the LAN side. Verizon actually got
smart, and every modem I've seen them use are actually NAT firewalls as
well, your PC does not get the internet IP, but rather a 192.168.1.x (or
other internal only) address. This means you actually manager their
modem if you want to forward port to  internal IPs. They used to block
port 25 incoming for mail, but I remember working around it by putting a
port on the MX record for the domain I was using. I think 80 was blocked
but I used 443 also.

Since the modem is a NAT firewall you don't really need to use the
router, I've actually had some greif running a netgear NAT router in
conjunction with the Westell NAT DSL modem, some packet dropping issues,
this all went away when I yanked the router and just put in a wireless
access point.

For installation:
The DSL modem will plug into any avaliable phone jack you may have. So
if you have a phone jack where you want to put the modem then your fine.
>From there you can run ethernet (or do wireless to your PCs). The big
pain is that on any other phones (or other phone type device, tivos,
modems, faxes, ext) you need to put a DSL filter to filter out the DSL
signal. You obviously don't put this filter on the phone jack you pluged
the DSL modem into.

Justin

Justin Bennett
Network Administrator