[nflug] openLDAP cheats

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Wed Dec 20 13:43:12 EST 2006

eric wrote:
> So, my beginning question is, can an (LDAP) client on a desktop use an
> LDAP server to logon another server serving samba 'user' shares?

the simple answer is yes, but there are many ways to implement this.the
only thing samba cares about is that the username you're trying to
connect as is a valid unix account as well.

one way to set this up would you to setup an windows Active Directory
domain (yuck) and join the samba server to it as a member server. then
set the samba option 'password server' to the AD controller. configure
the samba server at the OS level to be an ldap client against the AD
controller. samba has a bunch of ldap options which you could use but
i've never played with them before.

> Computer --> LDAP server --> Samba server

	ldap
	 /\
        /  \
       /    \