[nflug] Migrating Thunderbird email from one machine to another

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Dec 17 23:10:31 EST 2006

I'm just getting my new notebook up to speed and I'd like to get all my
tb email from my old notebook and desktop transfered over and merged.

One problem I have is that my old desktop is my "master" email "store"
with almost all my email on it (except some that I sent from my
notebooks).  The notebooks are set to read email (from several accounts)
and leave it on the server for the "master" to get and delete.  This
means that if I do a straight merge, I'll get an unmanageable number of
duplicates.

Anyone done this?  What's the easiest way?

Is there anything like a "remove duplicate records" utility for emails?

Here's what I know so far:

There's an extension called mboximport that may be able to do most of
it, but afaik that will involve creating a bunch of temporary new
subfolders and manually copying all the emails from the temporary
subfolders to their final destinations, duplicates and all.  I have
already used this a little bit for moving a few emails back and forth
between machines.

There's another program called Synching Thunder, but I don't know how to
use it.  I copied my whole .thunderbird directory from my old notebook
to a thumbdrive, plugged it into my new notebook and then tried Synching
Thunder on it.  All I got was a ton of error messages about my folders.

Thanks.

Joe