[nflug] Solar CME: 55% chance of severe geomagnetic storms

Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Thu Dec 14 06:12:12 EST 2006

A large Coronal Mass Ejection from the sun has produced a solar particle
& X-ray stream that is expected to hit earth on Thursday 2006-12-14.

The NOAA has forcast a 55% chance of severe geomagnetic disturbances,
which in the past have damaged satellites and knock out power grigs.

Do as thou wilt, but I'm unplugging all sensitive electronic equiptment
for the day.
To read more [before you shut down:]

http://www.spaceweather.com/

BTW. good chance of Aurora Borealis Thursday night as a byproduct.  Add
that to the Geminid meteor shower we're in the middle of having, plus
the Mercury-Mars-Jupiter triple conjunction earlier in the week, and
it's been a busy time for folks who believe in omens from the sky. . .

Hope to see y'all Saturday,
--John