[nflug] apt ineptitude

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 4 17:32:00 EST 2006

Hi all,

It seems I am unable to do an apt-get upgrade ... dist-upgrade without
screwing things up royally. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, but
recently I did apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade (one at a time) on
an elive (debian) system and apparently lost some crucial fonts. Most
things still work ok, but the popup automount type windows are all
showing little squares instead of letters. I get the same in the mplayer
menu, and gftp is entirely composed of squares. It probably happens
elsewhere, but that's all I've noticed so far.

I'm assuming that some very basic font has gone missing, but I have no
idea which or where to begin looking for it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
S.