[nflug] JRE in FC6 amd64 won't work

default wpos2 at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 2 22:09:37 EST 2006

I edited the yum.conf as you directed, and it was able to install.
Unfortunately, that didn't get the java plugin I needed.  (There's an
RPM for x86 and amd64, yet the only plugin is on the x86 side.  WTF?)

ANYWAY, I found the problem.  From this dialog:

[stay at rest plugins]# firefox /usr/lib64/j2re1.4.2/ControlPanel.html
loadPrefs()
Java process: caught exception from sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/usr/lib64/j2re1.4.2/lib/amd64/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
         at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(Unknown Source)
         at java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Unknown Source)
         at java.awt.Toolkit.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
         at java.awt.Color.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
         at sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin.start(Unknown Source)
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from child process
System error?:: Zasoby chwilowo niedostępne

it was apparent that libXp.so.6 was missing.  A quick search on
rpm.pbone.net said that that library is in libXp.  So I installed it,
soft linked the java plugin in my original non-RPM install, and it
works.  I don't know why I didn't try this before.  I think it may be
because rpm.pbone.net was down for a few days.  Anyway, problem solved;
mission accomplished.

Thanks to everyone who led me to the proper thinking patterns needed to
resolve this.

<crazy Homer Simpson dance>