[nflug] Hacking files in /etc/yum.repos.d

default wpos2 at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 23 12:52:07 EDT 2006

Ladies (if there are any) and Gentlemen:

I'm running FC3 on my laptop, and have in my intentions to upgrade
eventually to FC5.  The FC5 DVD I burned apparently has an unreadable
file and I cannot proceed in upgrading.  The file in question, an XML
file whose name I don't recall at the moment, indeed cannot be read from
the DVD, nor even from the ISO when mounted.  Googling reveals this as a
problem, but doesn't seem to propose a solution.  There's some talk
about padding the DVD, but this is currently beyond my expertise in
burning optical discs.  Anyway, it follows, at least in my mind, that
the file won't burn to be readable if it isn't readable from the ISO, so
that effort would be futile.

Left with this situation, I have given up upgrading by using the DVD but
am open to other means, however unorthodox.  This leads me to my recent
discovery of the files in /etc/yum.repos.d.  All 4 files contain a
variable called $releasever.  This got my noggin cranking, so I set out
to change that variable from (apparently) 3.  I tried the command
	set releasever=4
but that didn't seem to work when I ran yum.  Then I got the bright idea
to replace all references to $releasever to 4 (baby steps) in each file,
*after backing up the files*.  I am currently running yum and it seems
to be doing its thing.  I hope I will avoid RPM hell.

This method is a minor epiphany (no pun intended with one of the
packages I'm trying to upgrade), since my mentality is, "To upgrade an
OS, you need a whole set of CDs/DVDs.  I thought of a wacky idea that
wasn't common knowledge to me, and it seems to be working.  However, I
feel like I'm exploring unchartered territory, and can use some insight
into what I have done, so I have a few questions:
1. Are there any possible or probable repercussions to doing this?
    a. What is the potential to hosing the system, beside the
aforementioned RPM hell, especially considering that some RPMs I've
installed are newer than what came with FC4?  Additionally, will I have
a bona fide FCx system if I replace $releasever with x in the applicable
files, then run yum?
    b.  Is Red Hat OK with me doing this my way?  Am I taxing bandwidth
of the yum repositories unfairly or unethically?  Are there any other
considerations I should be on to?
2. If my way be valid, why (other than the convenience of speed,
considering downloading an ISO and burning a disc from it is faster than
downloading from a yum depository) would one want to burn a disc?
3. Does anyone see any advantage to doing it my way, in terms of a more
thorough or elsewise better upgrade?

I thank in advance everyone who replies.  Additionally, I thank all
contributors to the NFLUG mailing list for helping me to think outside
the box.