[nflug] how to mount samba share

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Thu Aug 17 12:27:19 EDT 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Frank Kumro wrote:

> I hate to thread jack but is there any secure nfs like alternatives? Im
> using nfs currently on my lan and it works good however an updated
> secure alternative would be great, also I dont mean samba.

Depending on what you're looking for, you might want to give sshfs a shot:

  sshfs is a filesystem client based on the SSH File Transfer Protocol.
  Since most SSH servers already support this protocol it is very easy
  to set up: i.e. on the server side there's nothing to do.  On the
  client side mounting the filesystem is as easy as logging into the
  server with ssh.

  sshfs is based on FUSE (userspace filesystem framework for Linux),
  thus you will have to prepare fuse kernel module to be able to use it.

Assuming you have fuse compiled in/with your kernel, it's a piece of cake
to get running.