[nflug] uhoh

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 22:55:18 EDT 2006

/proc is a VIRTUAL filesystem.  Basically it lets you see some of the
kernel's datastructures (which are in memory) in a filesystem like
layout.. The biggest eater of "virtual" space is /proc/kcore, which is
the contents of RAM.  /proc uses ZERO physical disk space of you
machine so stop worrying about that one...

Common eaters of space on small / filesystems are  /lib/modules (where
all the kernel modules go,  if you have 5 kernels installed, you have 5
separate trees there, and the average one uses about 40 megs EACH).
other big space wasters are /root (if you keep stuff in there) and /etc
if you use gnome (gconf databases get HUGE!)

-- David J. Andruczyk