[nflug] GCC question

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Mon Aug 7 15:42:44 EDT 2006

When we last left our adventurers...

> I am taking a class at UB this semester which involves some c++
> programming, no biggie, but the professor grades code by compiling on
> microsoft visual C++ 6.0. I really do not want to have to recompile
> code on that POS program just to see if it works, so my question is
> shouldnt the c++ code compile fine in MVC++ if I only use std
> libraries and nothing linux/windows specific? Nothing will be advanced
> c++ so this should make it easier.

When I took c/c++ my Instructor said that I could use gcc
because (as you stated) we were using no platform-specific libraries. She
did say that if, for some reason it didn't compile in Borland on Windows
(But it always did) then she'd want to see it compile on gcc and then run
properly. But ask your prof. YMMV

-Josh