[nflug] Print Queue ID

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Apr 29 15:45:03 EDT 2006

I'm running lp (cups) on Mandrake 9.1 (kde3.1).  When I print something
in a terminal, the system issues a message giving me the queue id of the
print job.
I can see jobs in the queue using lpstat

bigbird ~/Documents/HOWTO/Manuals: $lpstat
HPDESKJET895C-19379     bigbird       225410048   Sat 29 Apr 2006
03:04:22 PM EDT

I have a few questions:

1) How can I reset the next print job number to 1?  It's getting kind of
old typing lprm 19379 when something goes wrong.

2) When I submit a bunch of print jobs (from applications or from my
duplex printing scripts), and then I run kjobviewer, nothing ever shows
up.  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there another gui utility
I could use to manage my print jobs?

3) The job above is printing the first 40 pages of my new modem/router
manual (originally printed to disk in sections using xpdf).  It actually
appears to be working, but it's printing at about 0.3 ppm (yup, that's
really a decimal point in there!)

The manual (in pdf form) does have a lot of graphics in it, but the size
is apparently totally choking my system.  (I'm running sysinfo, and
every time it gets finished printing a page, cpu usage hits the roof and
pretty much stays there for a long time before the next page is ready.)

I can go back and try printing in smaller chunks, but I know there are a
bunch of utilities for manipulating postscript files.

If I don't care how good the pictures, etc. look and just want something
I can read with recognizable graphics, what could I do (e.g. cut down
resolution, etc.) to make printing monsters like this faster?

Joe