[nflug] NFS isn't (all) bad.

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Thu Apr 27 21:15:13 EDT 2006

This was my thread orig. I was having a NFS option question, not a
problem with NFS as a solution.

My origional question was if there was any logic behind the 'noac'
option, I couldn't remember if I had it in the automount conf files for
a reason, it had been there for years. It wasn't a big deal until I
upgraded my NFS Server to RedHat 3 (2.1 client). I noticed this option
significantly decreased my throughput. This wasn't the case when the
server was 2.1 and the client was 2.1, possibly a minor versioning
issue. So I was wondering if there is a good reason why I may have had
it in there, if not I would just yank it out (which I did).

With that said my user's homes, maildirs, and project areas are mounted
via NFS from my NAS box to my other servers which use the NFS mounts to
serve up IMAP mail, SMB file systems, and to deliver mail to the
maildirs. Similar to your #2 scenatio, except instead of Unix
workstations I have a samba sever which takes the NFS shares and shares
them to the windows PCs.

In this situation NFS works great and is lightning fast.

Also while we're talking about antiquated protocols, Ethernet was
developed in 1974 and TCP was developed in 1973 and replaced arpanet in
1983 to evolve into what is the internet today. NFS has been only around
since the 80s.

I think we should stop using the internet and trade in all our old
10/100Mb hubs and switches.

Just Joking...

Justin

Justin Bennett